Sunday, November 23, 2008

BOB HOPE STAMP


How I miss legendary comedian and entertainer Bob Hope, who died five years ago at age 100. Bob's career spanned the 20th century, having triumphed in every form of entertainment. His allegiance to the United States servicemen, entertaining them for half a century from World War II to Desert Storm, led Congress to award him an "honorary veteran" in 1997.

His memory is still with us, as the U.S. Post Office is set to unveil a first class commemorative stamp for Bob Hope today at Ellis Island. The stamp will be issued next Spring.

Linda Hope, Bob's daughter, will be among those gathered at the ceremony which will also rename Ellis Island Research Library to the Bob Hope Memorial Library. That's certainly a fit honor for Bob, who though he was as American as apple pie actually emigrated here from England.

Above is my autographed picture of Bob Hope, that I got when I sent him a fan mail when I was a young fellow.

Hope had the best delivery of any comedian and even as a boy I enjoyed his quick retorts and ad libs. I wanted to put this video up on election day to influence the election, but I forgot. Had I put it up, perhaps McCain-Palin would have won. Well, better late than never. Here's Bob in a great movie line with Paulette Goddard, Charlie Chaplin's third wife.

No comments: